Many of us rely on different sounds to tell us when something is up. For example, hearing the whistle of a tea kettle tells us when we have boiling water, hearing a car horn warns us when we are at risk of an accident, and hearing a crying child alerts a parent that their little one might be in trouble or hurt.
Yes, sounds are helpful to warn us about all sorts of things. This includes the ability to warn us when something is amiss with our air conditioning systems. Whether you use a central air conditioner or a heat pump AC, if your cooling system starts to make noises, they should serve as an indicator that something is wrong and you should reach out for professional AC repair in Cordova, TN.
Have You Heard These Sounds?
There are several noises that your air conditioning system most certainly shouldn’t be making. Consider if you have heard or are hearing any of the following noises:
- Banging and clanking: If it sounds like there is something bouncing about inside your AC system and causing a major ruckus, it is likely due to a loose or out-of-balance part such as loose fan blades, a connecting rod, screws, etc. This is a sound you will want to address soon so the source isn’t able to cause extensive damage.
- Clicking: Your system will make some clicking noises when it starts up and shuts down but if its sound is continuous throughout the cooling cycles it means that there is probably an issue with your system’s electrical parts.
- Hissing: A hissing noise from any type of AC system is problematic. One cause could be from leaking air ducts which will hinder your comfort and up your energy bills. The other potential cause could be a refrigerant leak which can lead to a full AC failure.
- Buzzing: A buzzing noise can be created by a few different potential problems including loose parts, loose fan blades, a dirty condenser coil, a clogged air filter, a blower that is failing, a refrigerant leak, and more.
- Squealing: Squealing or “screaming” is going to be a noise that is hard to ignore and that is a good thing. This sound usually indicates problems with your fan blades coming loose and scraping around inside your system which, as you may have guessed, is not good for the longevity of your system.
If you have noticed some of these troubling sounds coming from your air conditioning system, your best course of action is going to be to get a professional technician out to your home ASAP. Only a professional is going to be able to properly diagnose the source of the noise and provide the correct service that will get the situation resolved properly.
The next time that your AC starts to talk back during a heatwave, listen to what it is saying and let us know so we can help.
Since 1943, it’s been Automatic in Memphis! Contact Automatic Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing today for your next AC service.